Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mother's Day Gift Tutorials - 25 Quick Easy Affordable Last Minute Suggestions for Gifts Mom Will Adore




Something for everyone


This Mother's Day Gift tutorial collection contains 25 unique items.  Each one has a different appeal and requires different skills.  I included so many options in order to offer everyone something they can make and something their special Mom will love.  Everything is simple, affordable, pretty, and can be made quickly.  Some can even be done VERY quickly for those last minute gift needs.

Disclaimer:  I am A)Mother of four, Nanny of five, and veteran of 51 Mother's Days B) Licensed Procrastinator, C) Intermediate level seamstress and crafter, D) Veteran craft mini class instructor, E) Not the inventor of any listed project, but crazy about all projects on the list and respect the genius of their creators, E) linking each project back to source or a link which leads to source in title and description, F) recommending you click on the project link for full instructions, G) Not a paid endorser of these projects

Photo Cube Light Tutorial


This Photo Cube Light by Patent Pending Projects is made from upcycled cd cases, and is one of the most popular pins on my Pinterest board, Review and Reuse Project Ideas. The photos can be easily changed out whenever you want.


Citrus Peel Soap Tutorial



Pretty Citrus Peel Soaps by Darling Clementine are something any Mom would love.  They look so fresh and sweet in these photos, you can almost smell the tangy, fruity citrus aroma.


The bars look so cute wrapped in bright paper and tied with raffia or twine.  What kind would you make?  I'm thinking mandarin orange, grapefruit, or key lime would smell delightful.


Envelope Clutch Purse Tutorial



I love this Clutch Purse I found on Pinterest and pinned to my board Accessorize, Accessorize.  It is created by Dana at A Place in the Cloud .  It is quite lovely and the tutorial is easy to follow. When in doubt about a gift for Mom, your best bet could be a classic clutch purse. I think that the clean lines and simplicity of the design is elegant.  If you wanted to dress this one up a bit, buy a cute pin and attach it to the front.  Two gifts in one!



Flower Box Vase Tutorial



The Flower Box Vase by Creme de la Craft is so attractive.  I was tickled pink when I realized it is made from an upcycled tissue paper box, some newspaper, and disposable cups!  If you want to be super fancy, you can even add some little knobs to the sides.


Beaded Cord Necklace Tutorial




The Beaded Cord Necklace by Brittany's Best is so fashionable, who would think that it would only cost about five dollars in materials and take just fifteen minutes or so to create?  I think Mom would adore it.


Book Page Mason Jar Light Tutorial



The Book Page Mason Jar Light by Optimistic but Never Quite Elegant is exquisite.  This gift has it all.  It is easy, almost free to make, and you can  make it at the last minute.


Photo Pillows Tutuorial




It wouldn't be Mother's Day without something from Martha Stewart! Whimsical Photo Pillows are fun to make and give.  I first saw them on Pinterest and pinned the Photo Pillows to my Mother's Day Pinterest board. Any Mother or Grandmother will love them!



Poetry Scarf Tutorial




This elegant, no-sew Poem Script Scarf by Stamp 48 was inspired by the We Are Owls Poem Scarf. I found some rayon scarves at Dollar General.  The regular price was five dollars each, but I got them on sale for half off. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and saw these three different shades of iridescent fabric paint for 99 cents apiece.  Guess what my girls and I are getting this Mother's Day?  My total cost for all four gifts was under fifteen dollars.  Look for photos of my version in a future post.


{Everything} in a Jar Tutorial with Free Printable Labels



The Everything in a Jar Gifts were also found on Pinterest.  I pinned them to my Giftables Gallery - DIY and Crafts board.   The Gunny Sack has a tutorial for any gift in a jar. They even offer free printable labels for your jar gifts. The perfect last minute gift.



Felt Flower Corsage Tutorial



 I found this stunning Felt Dahlia Corsage on Holidash. Take your time making it and get enough supplies to make more than one.  If you have trouble you'll have a back up. If all goes smoothly with the first, you can still make a second corsage to keep.


Trimmed Dish Towels Tutorial



The dish towel from Sew Homegrown was a Pinterest discovery, too.  I repinned it to my Giftables Gallery board.  If you can sew a straight stitch and iron, you can whip one out in 30 minutes. Your Mom will love it!


Frame and Free Printable Sentiments



Here is another last minute quick and easy gift from Dollar Store Crafts featuring  a Frame and Free Printable Sentiment created by Ladycrafter 14 .  She has lots of lovely things on her site.


Fruit Bouquet Tutorial 




This tasty looking Fruit Bouquet  is from Parents. The flowers are cut with cookie cutters and placed on skewer stems.  Mom will enjoy this healthy edible gift.  If you make this, please let me know about it.  I'd love to see a tutorial post with better resolution photos.



Denim Scripture Tote Tutorial



This monogrammed Denim Scripture Tote by The Polkadot Chair is another gem I saw on Pinterest and pinned to my Accessorize, Accessorize board.  It is made using upcycled blue jeans. You'd have to be sneaky and measure Mom's scriptures without her knowing about it to get the size right.  Or, you could just tell her ahead of time what she's getting.  She'll probably take the measurements for you and save you a step.


Photo Key Chain Tutorial 



This Photo Key Chain was found on Scrapscene.  It is designed and created by Sherelle Christensen. What Mom could resist those adorable baby faces? Hey, even if the kiddos were all grown, having this key chain with their baby pics would be fun for Mom.


Bath Sundae Tutorial



The Bath Sundae from Creative Juices looks delish. What a fun gift to make and give.  It is extremely easy to put together and can be done at the very last minute if needed.  I think any Mom will love it!


Mason Jar Wildflower Vase Tutorial



Here is a rustic and delightfully charming Wildflower Vase from Little Birdie Secrets.  A child could help make this gift.  How much fun they would have picking flowers to fill it up for Mom on Mother's Day!


Ruffle Scarf Tutorial

 



If your Mom likes ruffles, then she'll love this easy and affordable Ruffle Scarf by Tidy Mom.   You'll need an extra large tee shirt, scissors, and a 9" paper plate to make it.  Yep, it is a no-sew 20 minute gift!


Pearl Chandelier Tutorial



An elegant Pearl Chandelier featured by Apartment Therapy is a great gift.  It is shown as a Patio Chandelier.  I think it would be pretty in the bedroom too.  Pearls are timeless, and plastic pearls are so much more affordable.  You can purchase all chandelier materials for about ten dollars.  This project is also featured on Dollar Store Crafts.


I Love You Mom Jar Tutorial



 A precious 101 Reasons Why I Love You Mom Jar by She Knows Parenting is a gift that Mom will never forget.  It is appropriate for any child to make and give.  Actually, I think even Mom's who have kids that are grown would adore this.


Modcloth Inspired Bow Belt Tutorial

 



I found the Modcloth Inspired Bow Belt on Pinterest and pinned it to my Accessorize, Accesorize board.  This beautiful belt is from the creative genius of Sweet Verbena.  Her tutorial is excellent, and you don't need to be an expert seamstress to make it.  It looks so cute, any Mother will appreciate this belt.


Photo Pendant Tutorial



This precious Photo Pendant is by Ginger Snap Crafts. My heart melted when I saw that sweet baby photo.  Make one for your Mom, it is a guaranteed home run hit gift.


Mason Jar Pincushion Tutorial



The Mason Jar Pincushion by Stephen and Natalie at Life Made Simple is a pretty and practical gift for any Mother.  Whether or not your Mom is a seamstress or crafter, she will enjoy this thoughtful present from you.


As always, please let me know if you make any of these.  I love feedback and photos!  Happy Mother's Day!!

10 comments:

  1. Neat Ideas!!! I'll go get my sewing machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring my pendants! :) Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger:) I am a Grandmother now (aka Nanny) and I promise you that I would treasure a pendant like this of my kids or grandkids.

      Delete
  3. Hi Reecea,

    Thanks for the mention. I really like your site.
    Some great ideas there for Mother's Day.

    I compiled a list myself for our Mother's Day which was March 18th, here in Ireland.
    http://patentpendingprojects.blogspot.com/2012/03/mothers-day-projects.html

    Have a great Mother's Day.

    Martin (Patent Pending Projects)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Martin, and thanks for sharing your post. I never knew Mother's Day wasn't the same date everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for including my necklace in your Mother's Day post. Loved the great ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I was looking to see how you covered thecan for the flowers? I can't seem to find that one. 😢

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I was looking to see how you covered thecan for the flowers? I can't seem to find that one. 😢

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important. Thanks for your input!