Saturday, March 17, 2012

Heavenly Help

THE MESSENGER by Greg Olsen
This is the description with THE MESSENGER painting by Greg Olsen taken from www.gregolsen.com:

THE MESSENGER

Often there are times in life when we go through difficult periods, times when we feel as though we’re wandering in the wilderness – seeking direction, solace, and answers. And often, during those trying times, if we allow ourselves, it is as though we receive a subtle signal in the form of some small wonder.


It may be something as simple as turning on the radio and at that very moment, hearing the lyrics of just the right song, or opening the scriptures to a verse with poignant meaning, or even having a little songbird land nearby to cheer us up. These are some of the small things that have helped me along at such times, causing me to look heavenward, smile, and say a quiet, “Thank You!”


During a time in my life in which I had an important decision to make, I was trying to sort out my thoughts while hiking. As I looked out over the horizon, I noticed that the billowing clouds resembled a figure that seemed to me to point the way that I should choose. And while I know they were only clouds, like an angelic messenger sent to one needing help along the way, they were just as beneficial as all the other small wonders that I’ve experienced when I needed them most.


“Bless the Lord, O my soul…who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: who maketh his angels spirits…” (Psalms 104:1, 3-4).


Greg Olsen -2002


You have probably heard the song Angels Among Us by Alabama.  The music and lyrics (found on Angels Among Us Lyrics)   are inspiring:

Angels Among Us
Songwriters: Hobbs, Becky; Goodman, Don;

I was walking home from school on a cold winter day
Took a shortcut through the woods, and I lost my way
It was getting late, and I was scared and alone
But then a kind old man took my hand and led me home
Mama couldn't see him, oh but he was standing there
And I knew in my heart, he was the answer to my prayers

Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

When life held troubled times, and had me down on my knees
There's always been someone to come along and comfort me
A kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping hand
A phone call from a friend, just to say I understand
And ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the road
That someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope

Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

They wear so many faces, show up in the strangest places
To grace us with their mercy, in our time of need

Oh well I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love
To guide us with the light of love


I have been blessed with so many witnesses in my life and I know that I'll never walk alone, that there are truly angels among us, and that the help we seek is available to us, even in our darkest hour.

I love this witness from an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, Elder Bednar, called The Tender Mercies of the Lord:

There is heavenly help available to us all, no matter our circumstances.  I know this is true.  There are truly angels among us.   The tender mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ is real. Seeing the incredible art by Greg Olsen was my 'tender mercy' from the Lord.  I needed that inspiration today.  I'm sharing it with you in case you need some, too.

1 comment:

Your comments are important. Thanks for your input!